Increasingly rare gut infection reduces risk of stroke, lung cancer

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 by: David Gutierrez, staff writer
Tags: gut infection, stroke, lung cancer

eTrust Pro Certified

Most Viewed Articles
Popular on Facebook
BACK INTO THE CLOSET: Why U.S. reporters are not allowed to write about rainbow events in nations where being gay is still condemned
Depopulation test run? 75% of children who received vaccines in Mexican town now dead or hospitalized
INVESTIGATION: Three days before Dr. Bradstreet was found dead in a river, U.S. govt. agents raided his research facility to seize a breakthrough cancer treatment called GcMAF
A family destroyed: Six-month-old dies after clinic injects baby with 13 vaccines at once without mother's informed consent
Biologist explains how marijuana causes tumor cells to commit suicide
BOMBSHELL: China and America already at war: Tianjin explosion carried out by Pentagon space weapon in retaliation for Yuan currency devaluation... Military helicopters now patrolling Beijing
Companies begin planting microchips under employees' skin
BAM! Chipotle goes 100% non-GMO; flatly rejecting the biotech industry and its toxic food ingredients
ECONOMIC SLAVERY FOR ALL: While we were distracted with the Confederate flag flap, Congress quietly forfeited our entire economic future via fast-track trade authority
McDonald's in global profit free fall as people everywhere increasingly reject chemically-altered toxic fast food
March Against Monsanto explodes globally... World citizens stage massive protests across 38 countries, 428 cities... mainstream media pretends it never happened
SCOTUS same-sex marriage decision may have just legalized the concealed carry of loaded firearms across all 50 states, nullifying gun laws everywhere
Vicious attack on Dr. Oz actually waged by biotech mafia; plot to destroy Oz launched after episode on glyphosate toxicity went viral
Nearly every mass shooting in the last 20 years shares one surprising thing? and it's not guns
Holistic cancer treatment pioneer Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez dies suddenly; patients mourn the loss of a compassionate, innovative doctor who helped thousands heal from cancer
Inuit Elders tell NASA Earth Axis Shifted
Wild eyes and bowl cuts: Why do mass shooters always share the same hair styles and crazed zombie stares?
Genetically white woman now claims self-identify as black: If you can choose your gender, can you also choose your race? What about your species? Can a human claim to be a llama?
(NaturalNews) A gut infection that is increasingly rare in wealthier countries actually reduces the risk of strokes and some cancers, according to a study conducted by researchers from New York University (NYU) and published in the journal Gut.

"The significance of this study is that this is a prospective cohort of participants representative of the U.S. population with a long follow-up," researcher Yu Chen said.

The bacterium in question, Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), makes its home in the mucus lining of the stomach. The infection is very common in less wealthy countries, and more than half the world's population is estimated to carry the organism. Typically, it is transmitted between family members, and most people acquire it by the age of 10. Due to prevalent antibiotic use and modern sanitation practices, however, the bacterium is actually becoming quite rare in wealthier countries such as the United States.

Until recently, H. pylori was thought to be only a disease agent, as it has been implicated in numerous health afflictions including gastritis, peptic ulcers and stomach cancer. The varieties carrying a gene known as cagA are the most virulent, and have been considered among the greatest health concern.

Recently, however, NYU researchers discovered evidence that H. pylori infection may actually help protect children against asthma. The new study by the same researchers provides more evidence that our bodies' relationship with H. pylori is more complex than previously believed.

A protective infection?

The researchers examined health data - including H. pylori and cagA test results - on 7,384 people who had enrolled in the National Health and Nutrition Surveys (NHANES III) between 1988 and 1994. All participants were followed until 2000.

To their surprise, the researchers found that participants infected with H. pylori, including the cagA variety, had the same risk of death from all causes as participants who did not carry the bacteria. This was true even though H. pylori infected individuals had 40 times the risk of dying from gastric cancer as other participants. These data show, Chen said, that gastric cancer has now become uncommon in the United States.

"We studied both the overall H. pylori as well as cagA strain of H. pylori, which is more interactive with the human body," Chen said. "We found that H. pylori is not related to the risk of death from all causes, despite it being related to increased risk of death from gastric cancer."

Even more surprising, the researchers found that participants who were positive for the cagA strain of H. pylori - typically considered the most dangerous - actually had a 45 percent lower chance of dying from lung cancer and a 55 percent lower chance of dying from stroke than participants who tested negative.

"The most interesting finding was that there is a strong inverse association with stroke which could be protective," researcher Martin J. Blaser said. "There is some precedent for this and it is possible that the same cells (T reg cells) that H. pylori induces that protect against childhood asthma could be the protective agents."

Sources for this article include:

Follow real-time breaking news headlines on
Gut infection at
Join over four million monthly readers. Your privacy is protected. Unsubscribe at any time.
comments powered by Disqus
Take Action: Support by linking back to this article from your website

Permalink to this article:

Embed article link: (copy HTML code below):

Reprinting this article:
Non-commercial use OK, cite with clickable link.

Follow Natural News on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and Pinterest

Colloidal Silver

Advertise with NaturalNews...

Support NaturalNews Sponsors:

Advertise with NaturalNews...


Sign up for the FREE Natural News Email Newsletter

Receive breaking news on GMOs, vaccines, fluoride, radiation protection, natural cures, food safety alerts and interviews with the world's top experts on natural health and more.

Join over 7 million monthly readers of, the internet's No. 1 natural health news site. (Source:

Your email address *

Please enter the code you see above*

No Thanks

Already have it and love it!

Natural News supports and helps fund these organizations:

* Required. Once you click submit, we will send you an email asking you to confirm your free registration. Your privacy is assured and your information is kept confidential. You may unsubscribe at anytime.