(NaturalNews) People who have been through cancer and its treatment experience difficulty with their recovery as they have to deal with severe, unbearable fatigue. Cancer fatigue is much different from the ordinary exhaustion which people feel after a busy day. With cancer fatigue, people feel tired in spite of a remarkable night's rest. Even gathering willpower to overcome it does not seem to help. Although the causes for cancer-related fatigue are many, its levels can differ from one person to another. Some common forms of fatigue experienced during this time are tiredness, weakness and exhaustion.
Certain simple steps can help to manage cancer-related fatigue
1. Nutrition is the first step to wellness: A person wanting to tackle cancer-related fatigue has to eat a balanced and nutritious diet, rich in organic vegetables, limited fruits, legumes, nuts and healthy oils. It is imperative to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. Avoid excessive fruit juices as they contain sugar which feeds cancer. Having proper nutrition is needed not just for good health, but it is also required to ensure that the person receives ample proteins, calories and nourishment in order to maintain a healthy immune system. The Budwig protocol has been shown to be beneficial for cancer treatment and fatigue.
CoQ10, Nigella sativa, garlic, flax seeds (Budwig Protocol), green tea and acupuncture also have shown positive results with cancer-related fatigue. Vitamins C, D, E and A were seen to possibly aid in the recovery of fatigue, as reports show.
2. Studies have shown Ginseng is beneficial to cancer-related fatigue: Ginseng is an Oriental herb and is one of the best known herbal treatments used to deal with cancer-related fatigue. Using it daily helps to boost the person's energy and vitality, thus easing the recovery period. Well known as an herb tonic both in the West and the East, Ginseng is readily available and is known to build strength and stamina.
3. Massage therapy to fight fatigue caused by cancer: Massage therapy is another proven way to tackle fatigue. When carried out by a professional therapist, it is known to provide relief during the treatment process and also lessen symptoms like depression and nausea. Patients coping with breast cancer, ovarian cancer, and mesothelioma cancer are known to find relief with massage therapy.
4. Exercising and staying active help to treat fatigue: Moderate and regular exercises like walking and rebounding are known to be good ways to ease cancer-related fatigue. Cancer has been shown to be improved greatly with the addition of a moderate exercise program. People who are very weak should start out slow and increase as their energy allows. Over exertion is not good either.
5. Tackling cancer fatigue through rest: Rest is an important factor to overcome fatigue caused by cancer. Interrupted sleep or insomnia can result in immense weakness during the cancer patient's waking hours. Getting good quality and adequate rest will ensure lower levels of fatigue during these trying times. Moreover good sleep guarantees better control over negative emotions like anxiety, depression and stress.
6. Dealing with cancer fatigue through stress management: Even in ordinary circumstances, stress is known to drain people's energy. For a person undergoing cancer treatment, it is necessary to find ways to relieve stress. For many it can be through yoga, meditation or prayer, while for others walking in a park, reading or listening to music can bring some relief.