man

Man awarded over $7 million for microwave popcorn-induced lung damage

Friday, September 28, 2012 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer
Tags: microwave popcorn, lung damage, lawsuit

eTrust Pro Certified

Most Viewed Articles
Popular on Facebook
CDC issues flu vaccine apology: this year's vaccine doesn't work!
The five biggest lies about Ebola being pushed by government and mass media
Ultraviolet light robot kills Ebola in two minutes; why doesn't every hospital have one of these?
Tetanus vaccines found spiked with sterilization chemical to carry out race-based genocide against Africans
Biologist explains how marijuana causes tumor cells to commit suicide
Companies begin planting microchips under employees' skin
The best way to help your body protect itself against Ebola (or any virus or bacteria)
NJ cops bust teenagers shoveling snow without a permit
Russia throws down the gauntlet: energy supply to Europe cut off; petrodollar abandoned as currency war escalates
McDonald's in global profit free fall as people everywhere increasingly reject chemically-altered toxic fast food
W.H.O. contradicts CDC, admits Ebola can spread via coughing, sneezing and by touching contaminated surfaces
Top ten things you need to do NOW to protect yourself from an uncontrolled Ebola outbreak
Chemotherapy kills cancer patients faster than no treatment at all
FDA targets Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps for sharing health benefits of coconut oil
U2's Bono partners with Monsanto to destroy African agriculture with GMOs
Why flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in history
Governments seize colloidal silver being used to treat Ebola patients, says advocate
Flu vaccine kills 13 in Italy; death toll rises

Delicious
(NaturalNews) A Colorado man says his constant habit of eating two bags of microwaveable popcorn every day for 10 years caused him to develop an irreversible lung condition, for which he now has trouble breathing properly. And following a recent lawsuit he filed against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., the company responsible for producing the popcorn, a jury has decided that the man is entitled to $7.2 million in compensation for his loss of health, even though he willingly ate the popcorn all those years.

According to ABC News, Wayne Watson developed a somewhat rare respiratory illness known as bronchiolitis obliterans, or "popcorn lung," which involves a severe narrowing of the small airway branches in the lungs as a result of fibrosis (scar tissue) and inflammation. This narrowing creates airway obstruction, which can make it difficult for sufferers of the condition to breathe. Oftentimes, as is the case with Watson, the condition significantly decreases lung capacity, causing perpetual shortness of breath and dry cough.

The culprit, claims Watson, is diacetyl, an artificial flavoring chemical commonly added to microwaveable popcorn in order to give it a buttery flavor without having to actually use real butter. Gilster-Mary Lee Corp. is one of many companies that uses diacetyl in its microwaveable popcorn products, and that does not list the potential dangers of prolonged exposure to the chemical, which include not only respiratory illness but also Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

"I probably look like a fairly healthy guy, but I only have, on a good day, about 53 percent lung capacity," said Watson to ABC News about what the chemical did to his health. "[Gilster-Mary Lee Corp.] thought that no consumer would ever be exposed to enough [diacetyl] to make a difference. Well, they rolled the dice and they [lost]."

Watson also reportedly worked with carpet-cleaning chemicals for many years, which defense attorneys tried to claim was the real cause of Watson's health problems. But ultimately, because the science shows that diacetyl can and does cause respiratory illness (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17288497), including among workers exposed to the chemical at factories that produce microwaveable popcorn, the jury decided that Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., which produces private label food products for Kroger and other grocers and food companies, should be held financially responsible.

Watson's case follows a long line of other rather surprising tort cases against food manufacturers, including the infamous Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants case in which a woman by the name of Stella Liebeck sued McDonald's for its so-called "defective" coffee after she spilled the hot beverage on herself and suffered third degree burns, and won. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants)

Sources for this article include:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19657878

http://abcnews.go.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com

Join over four million monthly readers. Your privacy is protected. Unsubscribe at any time.
comments powered by Disqus
Take Action: Support NaturalNews.com by linking back to this article from your website

Permalink to this article:

Embed article link: (copy HTML code below):

Reprinting this article:
Non-commercial use OK, cite NaturalNews.com with clickable link.

Follow Natural News on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and Pinterest

Colloidal Silver

Advertise with NaturalNews...

Support NaturalNews Sponsors:

Advertise with NaturalNews...

GET SHOW DETAILS
+ a FREE GIFT

Sign up for the FREE Natural News Email Newsletter

Receive breaking news on GMOs, vaccines, fluoride, radiation protection, natural cures, food safety alerts and interviews with the world's top experts on natural health and more.

Join over 7 million monthly readers of NaturalNews.com, the internet's No. 1 natural health news site. (Source: Alexa.com)

Your email address *

Please enter the code you see above*

No Thanks

Already have it and love it!

Natural News supports and helps fund these organizations:

* Required. Once you click submit, we will send you an email asking you to confirm your free registration. Your privacy is assured and your information is kept confidential. You may unsubscribe at anytime.