(NaturalNews) Gout is a very painful form of arthritis that usually attacks the big toe and can spread to the insteps, ankles, heels, knees, wrists, fingers or elbows. Gout occurs when an excessive buildup of uric acid in the body forms painful crystals in the joints. These uric acid crystals deposit in the articular cartilage of joints, tendons and surrounding tissues causing inflammation. Uric acid deposits can form under the skin (called tophi) and even some kidney stones are formed from uric acid crystals.
Joint pain, gout and arthritis are rare in countries where small amounts of meat is eaten such as New Zealand, China, Japan and Africa. When people from these cultures eat a western diet of too much protein, the rates of joint pain increase dramatically to match levels typical in Americans.
Uric acid comes from the breakdown of substances in the body called purines. Normally, uric acid dissipates in the blood and passes through the kidneys and out through the urine. Purines increase uric acid levels in the blood and consequently increase uric acid deposits in the joints leading to gout. Animal proteins found in poultry, seafood, eggs and red meat contain more purines than vegetable proteins.
The trouble with gout is that there is years of uric acid accumulation in the blood without any warning or symptoms until an attack is triggered by some precipitating factor like liver congestion, kidney compromise, alcoholism or protein metabolization problems.
When your liver becomes inflamed or is stressed, uric acid production can increase to very high levels, setting the stage for the development of gout
. Gluten from wheat, barley and rye grains are complex proteins that compromise the gut and ultimately inflame the liver.
High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is metabolized almost exclusively in the liver and causes liver congestion, fatty liver and liver inflammation; all precursors to gout.
Take this for gout and make your gout worse?
The gout medication Rilonacept is an immune system suppressor that not only puts you at risk for infection and disease but can actually make gout worse as a "side effect." Now, the new medical "cure" for one bad drug is to combine it with another bad drug to treat the side effects of the first drug. Gout is NOT caused by a lack of Rilonacept or Allopurinol, so don't even go there.
Solutions for gout
Long-term prevention of gout in the first place should be the main goal. Aside from the obvious diet and lifestyle changes of avoiding gluten, HFCS, and purine-rich foods, there are many natural adjuncts that bring relief to symptoms of gout.
• Take three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with mother (white spiderweb like floaties) mixed with one teaspoon of aluminum-free baking soda together with two ounces of water and one teaspoon of raw honey. Drink this three times a day until complete relief is achieved and then once a week for maintenance.
• Bromelane, found in pineapple, is the supplement of choice from the local vitamin shoppe or juice a whole pineapple, core and all and drink to deliver a large dose of bromelane along with other beneficial micronutrients and enzymes
• Cherry extract, nettle and 4,000-6,000 mg of vitamin C daily
• Beet juice helps stave off acidosis while stimulating liver cells to cleanse and protect bile ducts. Whole beets help the kidneys and relieve constipation.
• Strawberries can increase the flow of blood & oxygen to the muscles and other tissues by seven percent, preventing gout.
• Himalayan salt or Celtic Sea Salt carry just under 100 microminerals, which help the body curb gout and fight crystalline buildup of gallstones, liver, kidney and bladder stones
Bottom line, don't roll over and play the patsy to Big Pharma. Gout and other diseases have causes that can be found and treated naturally.Sources:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gout/DS00090/DSECTION=causeshttp://www.medicinenet.com/allopurinol/article.htmhttp://realhealthtalk.com/correcting_the_pH.htmlAbout the author:
Craig Stellpflug is a Cancer Nutrition Specialist, Lifestyle Coach and Neuro Development Consultant at Healing Pathways Medical Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ. http://www.healingpathwayscancerclinic.com/
With 17 years of clinical experience working with both brain disorders and cancer, Craig has seen first-hand the devastating effects of vaccines and pharmaceuticals on the human body and has come to the conclusion that a natural lifestyle and natural remedies are the true answers to health and vibrant living. You can find his daily health blog at www.blog.realhealthtalk.com
and his articles and radio show archives at www.realhealthtalk.com