(NaturalNews) An Indiana-based candy company has voluntarily recalled a line of sour candy after testing revealed that it was contaminated with lead. Officials from the California Department of Public Health discovered that the candy bars were contaminated with 0.24 parts per million of lead - well over twice the 'legal' amount of 0.1 parts per million as prescribed by the FDA.
Lead is an extremely toxic metallic compound which is found in the drinking water of many cities, and it would now seem that it is even lurking in convenience foods that are primarily promoted for children. If ingested, it can cause seizures, mental retardation, reduced sperm count, brain damage, nervous system injury, coma, headaches, irritability, abdominal pain, vomiting, fatigue, constipation, unusual paleness from anemia, or even death. Children with ADD and ADHD tend to have more elevated blood lead levels than their non-ADD/ADHD counterparts.
With the ingredients (sugar, glucose syrup, malic acid (E296 - not recommended for children), citric acid (E330), dextrose, flavourings, maltodextrin and colors E104 (quinoline yellow - coal tar derivative), E129 (Allura red - red, synthetic azo dye), E132 (Indigotine/ Indigo Carmine - blue synthetic coal tar dye), and E133 (Brilliant Blue - another blue, synthetic coal tar dye) listed on the packaging of this candy, it could actually be deemed as toxic to the body, even without the inclusion of the lead. Strange as it may seem, the very people whom this candy
is marketed to are the very ones who should avoid it, as each of these ingredients are not recommended for consumption by children (or adults, mind you): the side effects can range from skin irritation, dermatitis, high blood pressure and breathing problems right down to cancer (E129). Children with ADD and ADHD should especially avoid these additives and colorants, as they are prone to aggravating their symptoms.
was simply one toxic compound found in this candy product. The candy also contained four forms of sugar (sugar, glucose syrup, dextrose and maltodextrin), which have a host of their own side-effects. In a rather slick marketing campaign for this highly toxic product, the company has an 'Environment' page displayed on its website, which even displays the seal of the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce's Green Business Initiative, as an apparent 'Environmental Leader' in their field. Rather ironic for a company that is manufacturing products that are toxic to human consumption.
About the author
Shona Botes blogs about green living, budgeting, saving money, natural remedies and humour (which is often combined with the abovementioned topics). Her spare time is spent tending to her organic herb garden, cycling and engaging in photography.
Her blog may be viewed here
Some of her photography work may be viewed here
Other articles written by her may be viewed here
Have comments on this article? Post them here:
people have commented on this article.