(NaturalNews) While it`s tempting to pay big bucks for department store skincare products, the world`s most natural skincare ingredient is sitting right in your medicine cabinet: castor oil. Oil cleansing is nature`s way of deeply cleaning and restoring the skin without the use of a single chemical ingredient.
It may sound counter-intuitive, especially if you have dry skin, but the best way to get oil out of your skin is by putting oil on your skin. Your skin actually needs oil to be healthy. Without natural oils, your face gets inflamed, dry or pimply or becomes a bed of blackheads. All the soaps and cleansers you buy and pummel your face with to remove oiliness only serve to increase the defensive oil-production by your body. You end up in a losing battle against nature.
On the other hand, by using the right oils before steam-cleansing, you`ll help the pores in your face to relax and release any blockages. This will allow a natural and purifying flow of your body`s own, natural skin oils to pour forth.
Experiment until you find the oil combination that gives you the best results. One popular oil cleansing recipe is castor oil and either extra-virgin olive oil or sunflower seed oil. Castor oil (paradoxically) can serve to dry your skin, so mix up to 30 percent castor oil with the olive oil if you have oily skin and down to 10 percent for dry skin. If you like, try mixing in green tea extract or tea tree oil.
Here`s how to give your face that healthful oil massage:
Blend all your ingredients well in a bottle. Pour a sink full of warm to hot (but not scalding) water before starting your facial massage.
2. Starting dry-faced, warm some oil by rubbing it between your palms, and begin gently but firmly to massage the oil into your skin using circular motions.
3. Be careful around your eyes, and don`t forget (especially women) to continue the cleansing right on to your throat and down your neck.
4. After several minutes, soak a soft washcloth in the hot water and drape on your face, gently patting and lifting the now-dirty oil layer away, along with the impurities.
5. Go over your face with this mini steam bath until you feel your pores and skin are relaxed, refreshed and clear.
6. Some recommend then blotting your clean face with a cool towel to close the pores again.
Frequency of the therapy depends on your preferences and your skin type. But whatever you do, be gentle with your skin and don`t use scalding shower water and soap on your face, or you`ll undo all the benefits of the deep, gentle, restorative cleansing your face just received.
Elizabeth Walling is a freelance writer specializing in health and family nutrition. She is a strong believer in natural living as a way to improve health and prevent modern disease. She enjoys thinking outside of the box and challenging common myths about health and wellness. You can visit her blog to learn more: www.livingthenourishedlife.com/2009/10/welco...