(NaturalNews) Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease that causes chronic inflammation in the large intestine (colon) and rectum. Many consider it to be an autoimmune disorder; however, others theorize that high hydrogen sulfide levels cause inflammation and lesions typical in ulcerative colitis. Still others believe the disease may be due to problems in the large intestine's protective mucous layer (mucosa). Regardless of the causes, ulcerative colitis can often be addressed naturally without side-effect laden mainstream drugs.
Ulcerative colitis can happen at any age, but it usually starts between ages 15 and 30. The most common symptoms are abdominal pain and bloody diarrhea. Other symptoms may include:
*Anemia *Weight loss *Loss of appetite *Severe tiredness *Feeling of urgency *Inability to have a bowel movement
Symptoms may also occur outside the gut and include joint pain, eye inflammation, skin rashes and lesions, and mouth ulcers.
Mainstream medicine usually treats ulcerative colitis as an immune disorder and often prescribes the dangerous steroids and other drugs to control symptoms. Natural remedies, on the other hand, often control symptoms and lead to prolonged remission without drugs or surgery. Some of the best are:
1) Colloidal silver combined with probiotics can be very effective. Colloidal silver helps eliminate bad intestinal bacteria as well as any other pathogens which have invaded the affected areas. Colloidal silver also aids healing. Since colloidal silver may also eliminate beneficial bacteria, it is essential to take probiotics separate from the colloidal silver.
Probiotics are themselves among the most popular inflammatory bowel disease remedies. "Friendly" bacteria that reside in the gut help manage ulcerative colitis because they help control the number of potentially harmful bacteria, reduce inflammation, and improve the protective mucus lining of the gut.
A University of Alberta study found that probiotic supplementation of 3,600 billion bacteria a day for 6 weeks resulted in 53 percent of the patients having remission and another 24 percent having noticeable improvement.
2) Omega-3 fatty acids, such as those found in fish oil capsules, can reduce inflammation in people with ulcerative colitis. One study found marked improvement from fish oil supplementation and an elemental diet.
3) The herb boswellia has been found to block chemical reactions involved in inflammation. Unlike anti-inflammatory medication, boswellia doesn't appear to cause gut. Rare side effects of boswellia include diarrhea, nausea, and skin rash.
4) A basic diet avoids items, which have been associated with ulcerative colitis and may result in higher toxins, and it may result in marked improvement. Such items to avoid include sweets, bleached white flour, insoluble fiber, carbohydrates, processed meat and alcohol, as well as allergenic foods such as wheat, dairy products and corn.
5) Natural immune modulators can help prevent immune dysfunction which may cause ulcerative colitis. Among the best are magnesium, curcumin, oleander extract and blackseed oil (Nigella sativa).
6) Bromelain, a digestive enzyme from pineapple stems, reduces inflammation and aids healing. A Duke University animal study found that daily oral bromelain decreased the incidence and severity of colitis.
7) Folic Acid. People with chronic ulcerative colitis are at greater risk of colon cancer. A University of Toronto study found that dietary folate found four times the RDA of folate significantly suppressed ulcerative colitis-associated colon cancer.
8) Stress should be avoided as it may cause the onset of ulcerative colitis symptoms. Mind/body therapies such as breathing exercises and meditation can help.
9) Cleansing and fasting help eliminate toxins and restore natural balance.
10) Vitamin C helps protect and heal the mucosa.
Other natural remedies for ulcerative colitis include:
*Oral aloe vera gel *Exercise *Calendula *Flaxseed *Marshmallow Root *Slippery Elm *Fenugreek *Devil's Claw *Ginkgo biloba
[Editor`s Note: NaturalNews is strongly against the use of all forms of animal testing. We fully support implementation of humane medical experimentation that promotes the health and wellbeing of all living creatures.]
Tony Isaacs, is a natural health author, advocate and researcher who hosts The Best Years in Life website for those who wish to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Mr. Isaacs is the author of books and articles about natural health, longevity and beating cancer including "Cancer's Natural Enemy" and is working on a major book project due to be published later this year. He is also a contributing author for the worldwide advocacy group "S.A N.E.Vax. Inc" which endeavors to uncover the truth about HPV vaccine dangers. Mr. Isaacs is currently residing in scenic East Texas and frequently commutes to the even more scenic Texas hill country near Austin and San Antonio to give lectures and health seminars. He also hosts the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs - featuring Luella May" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup" and he serves as a consultant to the "Utopia Silver Supplement Company".