(NaturalNews) Restlessness, bad sleeping patterns or insomnia can affect many people. This is not surprising when one considers the fast past of life today and the world in general, which is fraught with tension and insecurity in many places. Children are not immune, unfortunately, and often have sleep patterns interrupted by a frenetic schedule of school, extramural activities, too much TV, dealing with parents who are getting divorced and so on. Herbs such as valerian, chamomile, hops and certain tissue salts can help to calm, relax and soothe an anxious individual to sleep.
As with any medication, herbal or otherwise, consult a qualified homeopath first and stay strictly within the dosage prescribed. Pregnant and lactating women need to exercise caution when taking herbal remedies.Valerian for Calming and Relaxing
Valerian, Valeriana officinalis
, is an herb that originates in Europe and has been revered for centuries. Reputedly used by Hippocrates in the 4th century BC and grown in monastery gardens for decades, it has always been regarded as an all-heal herb. It is recognized as a safe sedative and is beneficial for treating insomnia, hyperactivity, tension and anxiety. It calms the nerves, improves digestion and helps to relieve muscular pain. Valerian can be taken in capsule, tea, tablet or liquid extract form.Chamomile
Chamomile, Matricaria recutita
, is an old favorite and has been used as a safe and calming herb for all age groups for centuries. It contains salicylic acid, a natural
type of aspirin, and has various anti-inflammatory components which have a calming, soothing effect on the whole system.Hops
Hops, Humulus lupulus
, is an excellent aid in reforming bad sleep patterns due to its ability to counteract irritability, insomnia and tension. It is a bitter, tonic herb - the dried female flowers (hops) and hops grains are the parts of the plant normally used.Tissue (Cell) Salts to Alleviate Insomnia
Tissue salts are composed of minerals which occur naturally in our bodies and all organic matter on earth, such as plants, rocks and soil. Tissue salts no. 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 are especially helpful in treating restlessness and insomnia.Tissue salt no. 2
- Calcium phosphate is used for fretfulness, tension and a feeling of dread.Tissue salt no. 4
- Ferrum phosphate is an anti-inflammatory that can help a person regain a restful night. It makes the body more alkaline and can ease a feeling of being desperate and unable to cope.Tissue salt no. 6
- Kalium phosphate is for jangled nerves. It uplifts and lessens feelings of burnout, weariness and lack of joy.Tissue salt no. 8
- Magnesium phosphate stops cramps and eases pain and tension.Tissue salt no. 10
- Natrium phosphate is the perfect tissue salt for fear, insomnia, mental fuzziness and memory loss. It is an excellent choice for children who have nightmares, worries and anxieties.http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitamin...http://www.altnature.com/gallery/chamomile.h...http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/Heali...
About the author
Fleur Hupston is a professional freelance writer. She is passionate about natural, healthy living and is currently studying to be a naturopath. She divides her time between writing for Natural News and various other sites, home schooling her children and studying part time.