(NaturalNews) Type 2 Diabetes is caused by a resistance to insulin. This prevents your body from properly regulating the amount of glucose in the blood. Diabetes can cause Hyperglycemia and result in several symptoms such as producing too much urine, blurry eyesight, loss of energy, and a change in metabolism (often resulting in unusual weight gain or weight loss).
Long term complications can also result from Type 2 Diabetes. These include cardiovascular disease, nerve damage, loss of eyesight, inability of the body to heal itself effectively, and foot problems leading to amputation.
Those who have a history of Diabetes in their family or are overweight are more at risk. Below are some tips that can help you to live a healthier life and avoid the serious complications that can occur from Type 2 Diabetes.
1. The Perfect Diabetic Exercise Plan - The American Diabetes Association recommends 2.5 hours of exercise per week. It should be non-impact exercise such as swimming, cycling, or yoga. The best time is an hour after breakfast or dinner. You need to exercise regularly and carefully. Exercise will lower your blood glucose levels so it is important to not over-exercise and take carbohydrates if your levels drop too low. Remember to drink plenty of water.
2. Regulate Carbohydrates & Know Their Effects - Carbohydrates can wreak havoc on your blood glucose levels so it is important to limit your intake of carbohydrates. Also be aware that different carbohydrates take different amounts of time to be absorbed and affect your blood sugar level at different rates. For example, fruit is absorbed more quickly then pasta.
3. Start Losing Weight - Weight loss can restore insulin sensitivity. Make sure to eat smaller portions, reduce your intake of saturated fat, and carefully monitor your food selections. Eating at regular times can also help with losing weight and controlling blood sugar levels.
4. Take care of your feet - Diabetes affects the circulation of blood in your body and often your feet. Diabetes can also result in the inability to properly heal sores or other injuries to your feet. If not carefully monitored, foot neuropathy can lead to infections and other complications resulting in amputation. Check for blisters and infections, clean your feet and trim toenails, notice changes or lacks in sensation, buy well fitting shoes and orthotic inserts, and always wear thicker socks to protect your feet.
5. Stop smoking - Smoking can increase insulin resistance and has been shown to create higher blood sugar levels. Smoking is generally unhealthy for your body and adds to the possibility of more severe complications later in life.
6. Monitor Blood Glucose Levels - At least 2 times a day and before eating meals you should monitor your blood sugar levels. Work with your doctor to know what these levels mean and how to help control them. If you are exercising you will need to test your glucose levels more frequently.
7. Eat More Fiber - Fiber helps your body to regulate blood sugar. Eat whole grains such as brown rice and oatmeal. Eat up to three daily servings of fresh fruits and vegetables high in fiber.
8. Stop Drinking Alcohol & Caffeine - Alcohol can affect your nerves and how your liver process fat in the blood. These types of drinks increase your risks for complications and can make regulating blood glucose levels more difficult.
9. Reduce Cholesterol and Blood Pressure - There are many natural ways to lower cholesterol and blood pressure. link: http://www.naturalnews.com/025715.html This is important to your overall health and can reduce the risk of diabetes related complications dramatically.
10. Take Care of Your Eyes - Diabetes is a leading cause of blindness. It can lead to Retinopathy and other eye problems such as cataracts. Treat eye problems at the early stages with regular eye exams and be conscious of changes to vision such as blurriness or seeing halos at night.
Brian Swiftly is an experienced writer and blogger with a great joy for the internet and technology. He is a father and husband with a love of sports, living an active lifestyle, independent green living, and more
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com