(NaturalNews) The most healthful form of honey does not come from nectar, but rather from honeydew, a new Spanish study says. The darker honey, produced when bees collect honeydew from plants, has more antioxidants than other forms of honey.
Jump directly to: conventional view
| alternative view
| bottom line
What you need to know - Conventional View
• Honeydew is created from the secretions of aphids and other bugs feeding on plant sap.
• The researchers looked at 36 varieties of Spanish honey and found those with honeydew had stronger antioxidant properties.
• Antioxidants fight the damage caused by free radical molecules in the body.
• Experts say that all forms of honey are good for you. However, it is 80 percent sugar and should be used in moderation as part of a healthy diet.
• A 2004 U.S. study showed that eating four to 10 tablespoons of honey caused antioxidant levels to rise among its study participants, according to the web site HealthDay.com.
• Honeydew honey is not found easily in the United States and may require importation. Some countries see it as a delicacy.
• The study was published in the February issue of the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture
• "Besides its value as a great sweetening agent, honey has proved that it also has effective antioxidant and antibacterial activities," study co-author Rosa Ana Perez, a researcher with Madrid's Instituto Madrileno de Investigacion y Desarrollo Rural, Agrario y Alimentario, told the web site HealthDay.com.
What you need to know - Alternative ViewStatements and opinions by Mike Adams
• The healthiest honey is raw honey that is not processed, pasteurized or heated. "Cooking" honey breaks down the sugars, giving it a higher glycemic index when consumed.
• Honey has antibacterial properties and can be used externally on scrapes, small cuts or other skin wounds to prevent infection.
Resources you need to know
• Airborne New Zealand honeydew honey: http://www.airborne.co.nz/hnydew.htm
Bottom lineHoney is a good source of antioxidants, and dark honey offers the strongest health benefits.
Have comments on this article? Post them here:
people have commented on this article.